Eric
I checked now in project.xml, it looks like this:
<dependency>
                        <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
                        <artifactId>xdoclet</artifactId>
                        <version>1.2.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
                </dependency>
                <dependency>
                        <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
                        <artifactId>xdoclet-xdoclet-module</artifactId>
                        <version>1.2.2-SNAPSHOT</version>
                </dependency>

Of course, the multiple downloads cease when I remove
SNAPSHOT from the dependencies, but I still get:

Tag library requested that is not present: 'doc' in
plugin: 'maven-war-plugin-1.
6.1'

Janos

The snapshot error is worrisome..  double check that
the version of
xdoclet
used by the plugin in
MAVEN_HOME\cache\maven-xdoclet-plugin\project.xml
isn't marked as SNAPSHOT.

If it is, where did you get this plugin, from the
download at
xdoclet.sf.net?

Eric