On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, GOKULAM Jayaram wrote:

> Hi kenney,
>
> I referred the manual of ANT
>
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/ftp.html
>
> Which says that create directory will create a remote directory beneath
> the default root directory.
>
> Can you please let me know, which is the default root directory in
> linux?
> I believe it is /root, if that's the case, my FTP mkdir still does not
> work.

The ant manual is wrong - the name should be 'default home directory'.
At least, if you log in as a normal user. Then you can wander all over
the entire filesystem. If you use an anonymous account, you can only
see a part of the filesystem.

If you'd try this:

   <ant:ftp action="mkdir" server="${maven.remote.machine}"
       userid="${maven.remote.user}" password="${maven.remote.password}"
       remotedir="/tmp/TEST"
    />

then the directory /tmp/TEST should be created.

> What should be the problem?

My guess is that you work on a windows machine, and ${maven.build.dir}
is something like

 C:\Documents\ And\ Settings\YourUserName\Desktop\Work\YourProject

which is not a valid unix path.

You should have a path like

        /path/to/directory/you/want/to/create

for an absolute path, or

        directory/in/your/home/directory
.

Usually the ftp task is used for publishing websites and artifacts.
(see maven-jar-plugin et.al.)
You can test this all out using <echo>${maven.build.dir}</echo>
and trying to create that directory by hand using the windows ftp client.
But that's probably not the directory you want to create.

O, and about your signature: ofcourse, I understand it's something you
cannot change - just wanted to point out that that policy makes no sense
when you send mail to an archived list ;)

Greetings,

        Kenney Westerhof