In Maven 2 POM documentation, it seems that I will only be able to
create Java project with Maven.

<sourceDirectory/>
<scriptSourceDirectory/>
<testSourceDirectory/>

sourceDirectory points by default to src/main/java.
Does it mean that if I want to create non-java project I can't
indicate sources in the pom ?

Or does it mean that I can declare a new artifact type in maven (let's
say for C++ stuffs), place the c++ sources in the POM sourceDirectory,
and have my C++ files compiled as part of the normal maven life cycle
? What happen if the source type can't be guessed from the artifact
type (I think DLL can be created in more than one language, same I
guess a maven plugin can be Java or Marmelade or ...).

And if I need to mix different languages in my sources, I'll do :
src/main/lang1, src/main/lang2, ... but how will the compile tasks do
the right thing ?