For anything where the type is not enough to figure it out, you would
add plugin configuration. eg, when there is an aspectj plugin, you'll
probably use this instead of <aspectSourceDirectory/>:

<plugin>
  <artifactId>maven-aspectj-plugin</artifactId>
  <configuration>
    <aspectSourceDirectory>src/main/aspects</aspectSourceDirectory>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

This is actually more scalable to allowing other languages, and we
fully intend to support native languages and more at some point.

- Brett