http://cvs.mevenide.codehaus.org/mevenide-config/src/java/org/mevenide/context/
package over the mevenide.
by giving it a directory with pom it loads the project.xml and properties files.
        IQueryContext con = new DefaultQueryContext(directory);
        Project proj = con.getPOMContext().getFinalProject();

the returned project should be a merge of pom + all it's parents.
you can also get a project instance for each layer separately and
similar things.

it does not fire changes in files, but whenever you access the data,
it will check timestamps for the project files and reload the data.

regards

Milos Kleint