Hi all,

I have the following situation.
A parent POM (parent) a child POM (child) and a plugin (plugin).
The child inherits from the parent and uses the plugin like:

   <artifactId>child</artifactId>
   <parent>
       <artifactId>parent</artifactId>
   </parent>

   <build>
       <plugins>
           <plugin>
               <artifactId>plugin</artifactId>
           </plugin>
       </plugins>
   </build>

   <repositories>
       <repository>
           <id>my_own_repo</id>
       </repository>
   </repositories>

Furthermore I have my own remote repository (my_own_repo) to which these artifacts have sucessfully been deployed.
This repository is declared in the child POM.

Now, when I remove all three artifacts from the local repository and try to (re)build the child, the parent is automatically downloaded from the remote repository but the plugin not.
It seems that plugins are only downloaded from the Maven repository and not from user defined repo's. Other dependencies are correctly downloaded from the user repository.
If I remove the <plugins> section from the <build> section and instead, declare a dependency on the plugin like:

   <dependencies>
       <dependency>
           <artifactId>plugin</artifactId>
       </dependency>
   </dependencies>

then the plugin is downloaded correctly from my own repo.
If the plugin is specified in both the <dependencies> and the <plugins> section, Maven will only consult the Maven repository.
It appears that the <plugins> section has a higher priority than the <dependencies> section.

Hope anybody can shed some light on this.
Thanks in advance,
Peter van de Hoef