We found the solution:

We did cvs exports with timestamps to find the day when the build broke
and did a diff of the project before and after.  Then we noticed we
removed a static block of code in our tests to set a conf file.  The
problem was passing -D to maven wasn't getting passed for the test.  One
has to use the maven.junit.sysproperties property.  Adding that worked.

Here's my theory:  The JAR we use needs the conf.  It has some code in
static blocks which needs the conf.  Without it, it throws an exception or
something, which means the JAR is unavailable.  With the JAR unavailable,
our code can't link and we get NoClassDefFoundError.

Very strange to have this error with a JAR in the classpath!

-Michael

--
This E-mail is confidential.  It may also be legally privileged.  If you are
not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it.