Ah, I think I see what your reading from my comments and I don't mean what you're thinking, ie not producing separate patchable jars and having one monolithic build file. That would be suicide!

Just to be clear what I'm saying, those single file system projects I have worked on are absolutely split up into components that can be used in other projects and build and tested separately and self contained- they are just jar files. However this is achieved solely by the package name, ie everything under that package is one component eg

com
----acme
--------gui (gui.jar)
--------model (model.jar)
--------util (util.jar)

So only the deployers know that their jar files map onto the above packages, but the developers don't even care. They're just worried about the code tree. I don't know the experiences of folk here, but the details of the build files are of little consequence to about 90% of developers on a project, other than the fact that there is this funny build file that has to complete successfully before you are allowed to check in. Relative to Maven I'm the same: I really don't care which jar file contains the plugin class that's throwing an exception, I just want to find it quickly by pressing (shift+apple+n) so that I can see what the problem is.

What I've been trying to do is to place a pom where you see a jar so that you could instantly see which packages correspond to deployable elements at a glance.

A horror story for you: I worked on one project where the build.xml file was autogenerated by velocity and was over 3000 line long and growing. Every time you added a top level package to your source tree it would grow some more by copying a set of tags at the end. Eventually there was noone on the project left that knew much about how it worked!

Honestly though I don't wish to advocate one way over the other.