The way Maven is intended to work currently in this regard is that anything
that aggregates other projects or dependencies doesn't use the packaging,
but instead produces it as an associated artifact. So, if packaging = pom,
you get the desired result in terms of the dependency mechanism, but you can
still produce an assembly (jar/zip/rpm) from that.

Hope this helps. This is definitely one of the main use cases that needs
some polishing up before final release.

Cheers,
Brett