Hi,

One point of confusion which comes from our development approach up to
recently is the release cycle for plugins vs. that of the core. Going
forward, plugins will each have their own release cycle, which is not
meshed (except roughly) with releases of the core.

Having said that, there are a number of plugins we're working on right
now (if you take a quick scan of JIRA, you'll doubtless see tons of
plugin-related issues)...we'll be releasing new versions of these
plugins when they've stabilized a bit more.

Other comments inline.

Cheers,

John

Chris Berry wrote:
| Hi Brett,
| I'm confused.
|
| 1) I'm pretty certain that some plugins have changed -- specifically the
| antcall plugin.

I'm not sure about the antRun plugin specifically...the work I've been
doing lately is for lower-level support of Ant as a native mojo
language, rather than for referencing Ant scripts in the current project
or for embedding Ant tasks in the POM. The work I've been working on
would make Ant a first-class citizen in the realm of plugins. It's still
in testing, and not at all ready for prime-time.

| 2) When I build the HEAD from SVN (using the m2-bootstrap script) -- I get
| all new plugins built and installed in my local repo (stamped at the
current
| SNAPSHOT). So when you build RC, are you not building all of
| maven-components??

As you might expect, when you build from SVN TRUNK you're building the
development snapshots of each plugin...these have not been released.
They will be released according to their own release cycle, and are not
tied to the release cycle of the core. It's incidental that they're
under the same SVN TRUNK (this may change in the future, I don't know yet).

| 3) This illustrates a point; Should the base plugins be separated from
maven
| if they are to be rev'ed differently?? Seems that if they are rolled
| together -- then they should get the same version numbers??

I think the main reason we rolled these plugins into the bootstrap was
to ensure that they're given the same attention as the core itself. I'm
sure it's pretty obvious that without some dependable plugin offering,
Maven would be just a nice, abstract engine for processing "stuff". To
avoid the case where we have a perfectly stable core and a plugin
ensemble that is a shambles, we rolled in what we considered the most
critical plugins so we could ensure their quality was maintained
alongside that of the core. It's really pretty incidental to questions
of their release cycles, and it may change in the future.

snapshots.maven.codehaus.org<http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org><