On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 21:35 -0700, David Jencks wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2005, at 3:30 AM, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>
> > Ideally, I think apache should branch all the standard javax
> > stuff into a project of it's own.   That way tomcat, jetty and
> > geronimo would all be siblings and there would be no cross
> > dependancies and versioning could be correctly done.
>
> +10000
>
> Several geronimo developers have discussed this as well but we haven't
> had time to gather support from the other apache projects bundling
> specs such as tomcat, axis, pluto, etc etc etc.

Where do you think the best place might be to organize something like
this? A separate TLP where all the projects could get involved?

> I think that we will still need to include more versioning information
> than the spec version, such as
> <groupId>org.apache.specs</groupId>
> <artifactId>servlet-2.4</artifactId>
> <versionId>1.0</versionId>
>
> Just as you have needed to modify spec code when problems appear, at
> geronimo we've recently found some problems in e.g. jacc, which has
> been passing the tck for months and months.  So, I think we need the
> ability to fix bugs within a spec version.

So if some project were formed that housed all the specs the same
project would house (privately) the TCKs? I assume fixes to the specs
would be infrequent but would require the running of the TCK for each
change.

> thanks
> david jencks

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.