-0

Support for both should be out of the question. Double the documentation,
double the confusion, double the possibility for error proneness.

Readability is very important. I've never been a big fan of the "less lines"
argument. Sure:

if(a!=null){a+=" label";System,out.println(a);}

may be less lines than:

if ( a!=null )
{
    a += " label";
    System,out.println( a );
}

However, I'd rather maintain the second than the first. Since maintinence of
code (and, by extension, the POM) is a larger percentage of the development
lifecycle than the initial writing, that is the more important piece to
pander too.

I'm all for removing some of the verbosity of the POM. I kind of like the
<id>groupId/artifactId</id> syntax. But that's a far cry from cramming
everything onto a single, unreadable ( hyperbole :) ), line.

Eric