I'll add some clarification.  None of my issues are around site
generation--I was going to leave that until after I've gotten everything
to build.  I'm also not (yet) dealing with the war issues I've seen
people complaining about.  Right now I'm just building jars and some
other items.

As I said, most of the issues I'm having are with plugins.  There are a
couple of core issues I've run into.  The first I logged as MNG-1499
(which is supposedly fixed in 2.0.1, however I've seen some problems
with the patch I put together for that, but haven't had the time to
flesh it out and log another issue).  The second problem I've seen is
that when setting a plugin configuration property in both the parent pom
and the project pom it uses the parent value instead of having the
project value override the value set in the parent.  I wanted to clarify
that I'm not just doing something wrong before logging an issue, but no
one responded to my email.  I also logged MNG-1646, and this is also
fixed in 2.0.1 (though I haven't had time to verify this).

The other issues I've had are with plugins (javadoc and surefire
primarily).  But Maven 2 is nothing without plugins, so I really can't
say Maven 2 is production ready until all the plugins I need are also
production ready.

Thinking that Maven 2 is ready because there aren't blocker issues is
problematic.  First of all, you can't change the priority of an issue to
blocker once it's been written, so you never know who is blocked by any
issue (I tend to focus more on the text of an issue when I write one,
and often forget to set the priority on the way in).  Secondly, most of
the issues I'm dealing with have some kind of workaround and/or
live-with-it aspect that doesn't truly block me from continuing to
migrate my project to M2.  However, I don't like having pom.xml files
that are stacked with workarounds, and I won't move our production
process to M2 until these things are cleared up.  If that fits the
definition of "blocker", then I would imagine there are more issues
already logged that should be changed to blocker.

I also have some more plugins to write for our internal process, and
writing plugins has turned out to be much more difficult that I had
hoped.  This is primarily due to the lack of documentation.  There are
docs to get started, but no API reference docs to help me figure out how
to do what I need to do.  All I can do is look at the source code to
existing plugins (which code isn't documented either) and try to figure
out what it's doing.  This takes much longer than it should.  It's even
worse when you find out the "recommended" way of doing something isn't
the way the plugin you looked at was doing it.

My biggest problem now is that the time I had allocated to migrate to
Maven 2 (November and December) is pretty much gone, so I really won't
be able to do much more migration, and I especially won't have the time
to fully research the problems I'm facing and provide patches.

I'm excited for Maven 2.  It's overcome many of the shortcomings faced
by Maven 1.  It's not all there yet, but it's close and it's moving
along.  I hope I'll be able to squeeze out enough time to get everything
moved over.

..David..