At first view, what you could do is :
  * create a parent POM for your application
  * create a module for each component
  * create a pom.xml for each component

I see no need to setup several internal repositories.

For an example, you could have a look at how it's done in Maven itself :
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/

Hope this helps,
--
Yann