Being new to maven I have so basic questions regarding best practices in
maven.  Specifically, I want to know what the recommended practice is in
configuring projects that have dependencies which is all but the most
basic of applications.  In our company we develop applications that are
comprised of several components that we create.

As I understand maven, all artifacts have the version in the jar name.
This is great in one sense as it lets your project(s) refer to the
specific jar version that you want.  However, it causes problems also
because ideally we want our applications to work with the 'latest'
version of all of our components.  It seems the default maven behavior
would encourage our applications and components to be created to
something other than the 'latest' version.

I would like to setup our IntelliJ projects and our continuous
integration build system to generally use the 'latest' version of
components so that we attempt to minimize code that is written to old
components.

How can this be accomplished in maven2?  What are the best practices?

Thanks!

-dh