I've been looking for a default way to run maven projects within
netbeans. I had the same issue with jar-with-dependencies.  We
discussed it at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we have a different
solution that works fine and is actually exactly the same as the
netbeans ant projects get run.
Check http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MEVENIDE/RunDebugJarProjects
for details on the assembly descriptor to use and how to setup the jar
plugin.. then all you should be required to do is run "java -jar
<myartifact>.jar" in the target/dist directory (that's where the
assembly plugin prepares the environment)

Regards

Milos Kleint