I heard about a very interesting way to attack this problem a couple of years ago in the Cocoon project.  At one of the big cocoon user/dveleoper conferences (it could even have been at an apachecon) a small room of people with varying degrees of familiarity with the source code worked collaborativly for a stretch of about 6 hours to clean up the top 100 issues facing cocoon, including tons of documentation.

The proceedure was very simple but needs some tools.
Ingredients:
- 1 projector to display the list of issues for all to see
- some developers with commit rights
- 5 x that many other people willing to collaborate
- everyone needs an apple mac and SubEthaEdit (collaborative text editor) and iChat.

method
- small teams (max 6 including the key-dev ala the dinner party principle) rally about a developer with commit rights - the key-dev as i shall call her - and choose an issue to address.
- key-dev opens master copy of code in SEE and other developers connect to that via bonjour.
- everyone makes changes / be they code, javadocs, useage docs or whatever.

- using ichat's status indicators to show others if you are still working or done with your specific changes.
- when all done key-dev saves / builds / tests etc
- fix any new issues that have emerged from this cycle
- when done key-dev commits to SVN and the team is free to disband and form a new team, or just keep on going with another issue.

I use the term swarm development to describe this approach and after hearing about it from an apache mate we tried it within my old workplace where many of the developers used macs.  it was quite astounding how quickly issues, especially documentation issues were nailed.

My suggestion is to coordinate a maven users / developers conference somwhere where the weather is nice (I hear the April sun in Cuba is nice) and we all collaboratively fix as many of the outstanding documentation issues as we can.

iChat and SEE work over the wider internet too but there's nothing quite like having a bunch of people in a single room attacking a set of problems at once.  the vibe is intense.

Kind regards,
Dave Sag