As far as I know, the timezone element is purely informational, so there is
no need to specify when a particular location observes Daylight Savings
Time.  However, we do have a valid usecase for including the fact that a
particular timezone does observe Daylight Savings Time.

I have no problem with supporting something like

<timezone>
      <name>Europe/Berlin</name>
</timezone>

or even

<timezone id="Europe/Berlin"/>

However, I do not understand the aversion to allowing others to specify the
offset and useDaylight elements if they bring value.  The alternative would
be to force everyone to memorize the proper ID for each location, and the
offset and Daylight Savings Times observations for each.  Especially for
open source projects, which may have developers and/or contributors from
dozens of different locations, this is a non-trivial effort and worse, IMO,
then the current offset-based approach.

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Jörg Schaible

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "Maven Users List"
<users@maven.apache.org>
                      utions.com>                      cc:

                                                       Subject:  RE: TimeZone
Element in pom.xml
                      04/05/2006 02:14 AM

                      Please respond to "Maven

                      Users List"

Hi Ian,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:09 PM:

> public static TimeZone getTimeZone(String ID)
>       Gets the TimeZone for the given ID.
>       Parameters:
>             ID - the ID for a TimeZone, either an abbreviation such as
>             "PST", a full name such as "America/Los_Angeles",
> or a custom
>             ID such as "GMT-8:00". Note that the support of
>             abbreviations is for JDK 1.1.x compatibility only and full
> names should be
>             used.
>       Returns:
>             the specified TimeZone, or the GMT zone if the
> given ID cannot
>             be understood.
>

> Is this the JavaDoc you were referring to?  This method
> returns a TimeZone
> object.  According to the class JavaDocs,
>
> TimeZone represents a time zone offset, and also figures out daylight
> savings.
>
> The foolishness of American and Australian politicians not
> withstanding, the observance of Summertime/Daylight Savings Time (or
> lack
> thereof) is not
> just a nice-to-have.  It is a core property of the TimeZone class.

Yes, but it is already defined, if you choose a proper location as
"America/Los Angeles" or "Europe/Berlin". Daylight saving does not happen
at the same day in the world, depending on the country it differs for
weeks! Therefore these locations exists and everyone can take the city,
that shares his daylight saving.

- Jörg