I agree entirely. When mvn -U is executed, not only should the process
look for new versions of dependencies, but it should also check the
md5s for the jars and poms (and/or timestamps of the files) to see if
something has changed.

Having said that, I can also understand the response "tick a new
version when this happens" and think its perfectly reasonable as well.
So I can understand if this is not accepted.

Wayne