I´m by far any expert in the Maven source code, but as far as I understand the implementation the repos defined in your pom will be checked first. If your pom contains no repo with the id "central", the default repos defined in the "Super-POM" pom-4.0.0.xml will be searched next. Then all repos defined in parent-poms
are considered.

Additionally, the repos are searched in the order you define them in your pom.xml.

This should be true for resolving dependencies. I´m not sure, if parent-poms and poms in general are resolved the same way. So maybe this explains the problems described in the other mails.

Gunther

I think there's a basic misunderstanding here... As far as I know it,
Maven *always* checks Central first. Even if you define another repo
somewhere else.

One way people prevent this is by setting up Maven proxy and then
setting that proxy as a mirror of Central in their settings.xml file.
Then instead of Central, it checks your proxy for the files, and if
your proxy doesn't have it, it goes out to Central on its own and
retrieves them, and then provides them to your Maven process.

Wayne