Here is a brief update -- the problem has been solved.

To solve this I took the latest distribution of xalan and installed it to my
local repository as version 2.7.0.1.jim and updated dependencies.  Note:  I
also did this for xml-apis, xerces-impl, and I added the serializer.jar

Note:  It looks like the central repository has a bad version (2.7.0) of
xalan and not the real 2.7.0 release.

Anyhow, by having the right jar files in my local repository and having them
in the jdk endorsed folder I was able to get everything working.

Jim