Is there a reason you can't move it?? So many people on this list make
their lives "miserable" by ignoring Maven defaults/standards and
rigging things to fit their own layout. I find it easier to simply
adjust my projects to fit the expectations of Maven.

And yes, I believe you can configure the location of the MANIFEST.MF
file in the Jar plugin, but I'm not certain of the details.

Wayne