I agree with Jamie. Since the ability to build javadoc and source jars
is a built in part of the maven deploy plugin, it doesn't make sense
that the only way to get maven to download them is using an eclipse
specific plugin. What if people want to use these source files for
other things or with other editors (like IDEA or NetBeans), then this
functionality would have to be reimplemented. So, just as Jamie said,
I think the piece that downloads the POMs and binaries should have a
switch that will make it download the sources and javadocs (in the XML
or as a -D option like on the eclipse plugin).