hi  Adam,
could you try 2.2-SNAPSHOT for surefire and see if that fixes it?

frankly i have no ideaon why is failing, but the 2.2-s is working fine 4
me..

hth
marco

On 5/23/06, Adam Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have just set up Maven 2.0.4 on a new machine with JDK-1.5.0_06 and I
am running 'mvn test' on a small pilot project with java 1.5 code. I
have source and target = 1.5 in my POM (see below).

mvn falls over on surefire with a UnsupportedClassVersionError

[INFO] Surefire report directory:
C:\Projects\cortex\back-end\target\surefire-reports
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireExecutionException:
com/cortex/base/domain/card/CardFinderTest (Unsupported major.minor
version 49.0); nested except
is java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
com/cortex/base/domain/card/CardFinderTest (Unsupported major.minor
version 49.0)

After searching the list archives and googling on this, I still cannot
find a solution.

There was an announcement on the list 2006-05-14 that surefire 2.2 has
been released but specifying version 2.2 in my POM doesn't help and I
cannot find it on the repositories. It seems there is only 2.0. Perhaps
2.2 will help but I can't see how to get it.

I saw another message on the list

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=turbine-maven-user&m=114831704529929&w=2

where the exact same problem occurred but the original poster signed off
saying they would wipe the surefire directory and see if that helps.
However they did not report back. More significantly, I wiped my
surefire jars and cleaned the whole project and have source and target
specified as 1.5 but to no avail.

What could the problem be?

Thanks
Adam

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";

http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>

<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

<groupId>com.foo.bar</groupId>

<artifactId>foo</artifactId>

<packaging>pom</packaging>

<version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

<name>The whole of foo</name>

<organization>

<name>d</name>

<url>http://www.foo.com</url>

</organization>

<repositories>

<repository>

<id>Maven snapshots</id>

<url>http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2</url>

<snapshots>

<enabled>true</enabled>

</snapshots>

<releases>

<enabled>false</enabled>

</releases>

</repository>

<repository>

<releases>

<enabled>true</enabled>

</releases>

<snapshots>

<enabled>false</enabled>

</snapshots>

<id>central</id>

<name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>

<layout>default</layout>

<url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>

</repository>

</repositories>

<pluginRepositories>

<pluginRepository>

<id>Maven Snapshots</id>

<url>http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2/</url>

<snapshots>

<enabled>true</enabled>

</snapshots>

<releases>

<enabled>false</enabled>

</releases>

</pluginRepository>

<pluginRepository>

<releases>

<enabled>true</enabled>

</releases>

<snapshots>

<enabled>false</enabled>

</snapshots>

<id>central</id>

<name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>

<layout>default</layout>

<url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>

</pluginRepository>

</pluginRepositories>

<modules>

<module>back-end</module>

<module>gui</module>

<module>standalone</module>

</modules>

<build>

<plugins>

<plugin>

<configuration>

<source>1.5</source>

<target>1.5</target>

</configuration>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<version>2.2</version>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>cobertura-maven-plugin</artifactId>

<executions>

<execution>

<goals>

<goal>clean</goal>

<goal>check</goal>

</goals>

</execution>

</executions>

</plugin>

</plugins>

</build>

<reporting>

<plugins>

<plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>taglist-maven-plugin</artifactId>

</plugin>

<plugin>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>jxr-maven-plugin</artifactId>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<!-- Code rules verification report -->

<artifactId>maven-pmd-plugin</artifactId>

<configuration>

<targetjdk>1.4</targetjdk>

<!--

<rulesets>

<ruleset>/rulesets/basic.xml</ruleset>

<ruleset>/rulesets/controversial.xml</ruleset>

</rulesets>

<format>xml</format>

-->

<linkXref>true</linkXref>

<sourceEncoding>utf-8</sourceEncoding>

<minimumTokens>100</minimumTokens>

</configuration>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<artifactId>

maven-project-info-reports-plugin

</artifactId>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<!-- if uses issue then requires scm setup -->

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>changes-maven-plugin</artifactId>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<!-- created from the sandbox -->

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>cobertura-maven-plugin</artifactId>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<!-- Similarity analysis report based upon the Simian tool -->

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>simian-report-maven-plugin</artifactId>

<version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>jdepend-maven-plugin</artifactId>

<version>2.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT</version>

</plugin>

<plugin>

<artifactId>maven-surefire-report-plugin</artifactId>

<version>2.2</version>

</plugin>

</plugins>

</reporting>