I am not aware of any convention in that area. And I am breaking my pledge to stop trying to answer emails. Hopefully I don't give you bad advice this time. :-)

Some options/issues:

1. ../lib -- fails if /bin is not the current working directory, like if you run './target/bin/somestartscript.sh' while in the project/module directory.

2. token replacement during build to produce absolute path to lib dir -- fails if you move this stuff, like if you delivered the contents of target as an artifact.

3. fancy scripting that figures out where the bin script lives (or really, where the app "home" is), and then find the libs relative to that -- robust but complex, perhaps you can borrow this functionality from the start script of another app, many app start scripts behave this way, including the 'mvn' script

-Max

EJ Ciramella wrote:
In a related note, how are the scripts that are used to start/stop
applications built by maven supposed to build up the proper class path?

So during the build for this one application we have, the jar file is
placed in target/lib now.

ALSO - as the resources are processed, the scripts wind up in
target/scripts.  The developers want to be able to cd into scripts and
run somestartscript.sh which looks into the lib directory (../lib) to
build up the classpath (just load all jars).

Am I approaching this wrong?