It isn't a problem, your ide compiling/debugging functionalities are
enough to write and test your code. In that case, you just need Maven
to produce a valid Eclipse project according to the pom. If it's still
bother you, just turn off Eclipse automatic build features and run
Maven from Eclipse as an external tool.

Most of the time I use Maven only to execute indivual goals while I
let continuum, which run on a different server, in charge of
retrieving the project lastest sources and deploying nightly builds on
our internal repository.

Work like a charm in our case.