You should declare repositories in both and mirrors in settings.xml. A
corporation wide parent pom is the best solution to define
repositories but you still need to define them in settings.xml to
handle 2 specific cases :

1) Being able to retrieve the parent pom.
2) Run indivual goals that don't need a pom.