I must be ignorant, I am following that example, have settings in
settings.xml, using wagon-webdav-1.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT from Subversion
today (6/12/2006), and still unable to authenticate (with a known
username/password that is tested on the WebDAV site that works fine with
other tools, as well as manually with full PUT/MKCOL permissions).

Maven Debug Output:
=============
[DEBUG] -- end configuration --
[INFO] deploy:deploy
WAGON_VERSION: 1.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT
[DEBUG] not adding permissions to wagon connection
Jun 12, 2006 11:41:14 AM org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase
processAuthenticationResponse
WARNING: No credentials available for the 'my webdav secure realm'
authentication realm at myserver
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: Failed to
transfer file: http://myserver/repo/myfile. Return code is: 401
Unauthorized
        at
org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.webdav.WebDavWagon.put(WebDavWagon.java
:280)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.putRemoteFile(Defa
ultWagonManager.java:180)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.putArtifact(Defaul
tWagonManager.java:109)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.DefaultArtifactDeployer.deploy(Defaul
tArtifactDeployer.java:77)
        ... 11 more

What else should I test? When authentication is disabled on the WebDAV
server, everything works fine. I tried changing the ID in settings.xml
to be 'my webdav secure realm', but that didn't work either.

Note above: "[DEBUG] not adding permissions to wagon connection"

-D