If you drill down in the Central (ibiblio) repo and the Snapshot repo,
you will find a number of Archetypes, including j2ee-simple, webapp,
portlet etc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/archetypes/

Give them all a try and see what kind of directories, poms, etc are
created by each one -- perhaps you will find what you were originally
looking for...

But manually creating directories and modifying poms is the way I
personally create most of my projects.

Wayne