I personally do more as you do.

I have team-wide "super-POMs"  I have a primary one that has basic
url, issue management, etc. type settings.  Then I have a "core" POM
with common dependencyManagment section to encourage use of the same
versions of Jar's to prevent incompatibilities, as well as common
reporting configuration.  Then I have a "webapp" parent POM that
specifically states the provided dependencies for webapps to be
deployed to our target server, as well as webapp specific stuff, such
as setting <finalName>${project.artifactId}</finalName> to remove the
version number from wars, and <wtpVersion>1.0</wtpVersion> for the
Eclipse plugin.

For multi-module project, I have an aggregating POM that defines the
modules, but each module uses the appropriate "super-POM" as its
parent, not the aggregating POM.

I've found this to work better for us.  But I too have been wondering
what the reasoning for the pattern of using the aggregating POM also
as the parent POM is...

-Stephen