mvn -X tells me that the only plexus-utils JAR in my classpath is 1.1. As for
putting 1.3-SNAPSHOT in <version>, I seem to have read somewhere that it
doesn't really matter what version of plexus-utils your pom depends on, what
you get is the version present in M2_HOME/core. This may have changed
recently, though, as I think what I read was from march or something.

Anyways, it all works now. Deleted the project, the maven dir and the
repository and started fresh. Funny, because I have in the past deleted the
project, the maven dir and the repository - just not at the same time. It
would seem my computer is based on ILlogical operations. ;-)