I understand the backwards compatibility issues. Unfortunately,
I'm experimenting with an unconventional (and deep) directory
hierarchy and am forced to use something like

   <directory>../../../../../target/bin</directory>

I was hoping to clean things up a bit.

I had posted a question earlier about using

   ${project.parent.relativePath}

for the same reason, but it resolves literally to "../pom.xml",
which seems odd for two reasons:

   +  A path is not a file.

   +  The <relativePath> element is specifically for those
      unconventionally nested arrangements where projects
      don't map directly onto the filesystem. There's an
      incorrect assumption being made that a parent project
      lies directly above a sub-project.

Brad