Bob Arnott on 04/07/06 14:57, wrote:
I'm currently in Maven dependency hell, with a WAR file that is huge
due to loads of useless third party library dependencies.

Generally speaking, you should be able to dig your way out of this dependency hell. Are you sure that you have given all your dependencies the correct scope? For instance, any jars needed only for testing, or which are supplied by the appserver should be marked so with the scope tag. Secondly, when using big framework jars such as spring.jar, try using just the deconstructed modular jars you need (if they are provided) rather than the whole kit and caboodle.

P.S. Is there a tool to show me where all the dependencies come form...?
i.e. a graphing tool or something that shows what is a dependency of what.

Run mvn -X package and look at the indented references to jars. Each main
dependency starts on the left and for each transitive dependency, a new line
with an indentation is added.

Hope that helps,
Adam