Allan:

Per content at .../guide-testing-development-plugins.html, added

  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>snapshots</id>
      <url>http://svn.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository</url>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>

to POM.

I don't declare use of maven-install-plugin in any POM, i.e. plugin
version is not specified. Tried the install-file goal with -U,

   $ mvn -U install:install-file ...

from the project (directory) with POM containing </pluginRepositories>,
above.

I do see

  [INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-install-pluging: \
     checking for updates from central

Maven does not report downloading an update for the plugin and I get
the same error.

How can I verify which version of the plugin is being used?

Brad