Just wanted to follow up on the thread. I decided to use the 'file' protocol
instead of scp as I am copying files on the local machine.

When looking at the source code for the maven-deploy-plugin, I found that
the plugin looks in the .ssh directory for keys. As I mentioned earlier,
Continuum is running on system startup (since I didn't really assign a user,
I am assuming it runs as root). Even though the root folder has .ssh
subfolder, I don't understand why the credentials are not being picked up.
Perhaps someone who has installed this on the server can break down the
install procedure so that scp can be performed from the build process.