On 7/13/06, javaguy1974 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It would be nice if Maven provided a capability for a child POM to ignore
some inherited stuff like plugins. Otherwise, it is very difficult to design
a truly top-level organizational POM that is shared by all projects. I'm not
sure what you actually mean by suggesting changing the plugin? Do you mean
change the plugin POM so it no longer depends on the parent? This is exactly
what I did by copying and pasting some settings from the parent but again
that is not a desired solution.

I believe what Mike is suggesting is that your top level pom does not
need to depend upon your tracking pom, or your custom pom should not
depend upon your top level pom.  You need to break that dependency.

You top level master pom should be providing default values for
inheritance and not much else. For this I have an organisational wide
bootstrap pom which does nothing more than define the internal
repositories.

Then each project inherits the bootstrap pom.  In the project pom
there is dependencyManagement, reporting, build, and pluginManagement
which get inherited by the modules. I don't see it being such an issue
that each project needs to define that it uses the custom plugin.

You may be able to use the "inherited" tag in plugins/pluginManagement
to do what you are wanting.