Not sure where exactly this is documented but I believe the order
would/should be:

1.0-alpha-1
1.0-RC1
1.0.0
1.1-alpha-1
1.1.0
1.2.0
2.1.10
10.0.0

At least, this is how I would expect it to work. I generally do not
use alpha and RC and instead use SNAPSHOT and full versions (1.1.2)
instead. This way, I always know exactly what I'm going to get. I'd
encourage you to do the same -- instead of embedding the alpha or RC
in the version number, I'd just include a note "this is RC1" somewhere
relevant.

Wayne