For the documentation, good starting points should be:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-site.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/howto.html

When adding reports to your site, I guess you have to provide a site.xml
file.
Either you take the default behaviour, or if you want to customize anything,
you have to provide the site.xml file....

The 'About' section is AFAIK only a link to the index.html page. To create a
custom index.html page, you just have to provide a index.apt or a index Xdoc
file, which will be processed to an index.html page. See guide above for
more explanations.

For the order of reports, I guess you can't specify the order. A simple
workaround would be not to include the $report in you site.xml but instead
list each of your report in specific items.

Denis.