It can, there is a native-maven-plugin on codehaus.  It should work
for most simple JNI projects.  The various OS's though, I'm not sure.
You specify the OS in the pom, and you'd need the various platform
dependencies available as well as a cross-compiler for each if you
wanted to do this build on one machine.

How do you do it now?

I imagine if you built it on the various systems, you could make a
profile that would activate per-OS, and fill in the OS-specific stuff
for the pom.