> Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:20:07 -0500
> From: "Eric Redmond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "Maven Users List" <users@maven.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [POLL] Why switch to Maven?
>
> On 8/29/06, Attila Mezei-Horvati
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > At my company we used ant to do the build files.
> > We
> > decided to switch to maven because we heard that
> > it is
> > better than ant, integrated with CI tools and it
> > can
> > build the documentation site/reports etc.
> >
> > I spent two weeks so far to move the build and I
> > still
> > am far from the goal. Sometimes I wonder if it
> > worths
> > the effort. Documentation is bad, the only way to
get
and
> > Chris and all others).
> >
> > There is no way from the command line for a plugin
> > tell what configuration options you have or what
> > goals. There is supposed to be a site generated
with
> > info but that is most of the time useless.
> > Help:describe is another tool but its not
> > telling much either.
>
> It gives the list of mojos and all of their
> parameters, but you must use the
> "-Dfull" parameter.

Maybe I missed it, but I remember a couple of times I
have found properties mentioned in the site documents
which were not showing up when typed help:describe
(for ex targetPath for the war plugin).

I agree with an earlier post. Would be nice to have
a "help plugin parameter " command (svn was mentioned
as I recall). Would be really helpful.

> Actually, I agree with your (and everyone elses)
> sentiment on the learning
> curve issue. I have been watching the list lately
> and have began compiling a
> list of FAQs for documenting purposes. I love the
> Mergere book, and it
> serves a purpose, however, I think that many users
> would be well servered by
> a book more along the lines of "Rails Recipies".
> Just a laundry list of:
> "How do I do X? Here's how you do X..."
>
> I've began brainstorming on my little private
> wiki,
> if you care to peek:

http://www.propellors.net/wiki/index.php?title=Maven_Recipes

Yes, this is a good idea. I was thinking to create my
own wiki for maven local. Maybe I will just try to
update this one. I know being a beginner will probably
add mistakes but I am hoping somebody will correct
that. If that is alright.

Attila