You're right but I would like to add that when we deploy a snapshot we also
deploy a timestamp version of the plugin ([1] is an example for m1).
This timestamp can be used temporaly and will not be modified.
But I agree that it doesn't resolve our lake of releases....

Arnaud

[1]
http://people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-repository/maven/plugins/?C=M;O=D