Joe Heck wrote
The "how to" for the separate functional test module setup was on this
earlier - the big pieces to note being that the functional test module
is set with POM packaging, and then plugins manually bound to the
various steps (in this case, the maven-surefire-plugin bound to the
integration-test phase and the cargo plugin bound to the
"pre-integration-test" phase)

Ruel Loehr wrote:
> In ant, it's pretty simple as I can just string together targets until my
heart is content.
> With maven, I feel I am imprisoned by the lifecycle in this case.

What Joe wrote is probably the key bit here for you Ruel.

By using a pom packaging you get bugger all in the lifecycle.
Then just start binding the plugins you want to a part of the
lifecycle (you can create a new execution environment for each of your
environments)

I'm not yet up to this stage in my maven usage, so I believe it to be
technically feasible but I have not done it to know for sure.