"Kevin Galligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/02/2006 02:11:49 PM:

> Just thought I'd send a little back to the community.  I coded a
> simple eclipse builder plugin that helps speed up webapp development
> when using the war plugin.
>
> I'm sure there's something out there that does this already, but this
> works pretty well.  If you edit and save a file in either the
> 'src/main/webapp' directory or a java class file, it copies the output
> to the exploaded war directory in 'target', so changes should be
> visible immediately rather than after running maven.
>
> Obviously, if you have plugins on your project, they won't get run.
> This really came out of a need to speed up jsp editing.  The plugin
> will also listen to the output on the compiled classes directory, so
> editing java classes in 'src/main/java' will compile to
> 'target/classes', and from there be copied to the webapp exploded
> directory.
>
> The plugin also takes 'finalName' into account.  However, it does not
> look into parent pom definitions, etc, so more tricky configurations
> are not taken into account.
>
> http://www.bigheadco.com/warplugineclipsebuilder
>
> Comments welcome.

I tackled the same problem in a different manner recently. Are you
familiar with the war:inplace goal? That does the reverse of your eclipse
plugin. It copies the target/classes and lib dependencies from target into
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/classes and /lib. I added an ignore for those
directories to my svn repository so they won't get checked in. Now just
editing a jsp in eclipse and saving it allows tomcat to see the change. I
got pulled into more backend development since then, so I didn't go the
next step, but I considered modifying eclipse to use the WEB-INF/classes
dir as the compile output folder instead of the default build/classes.
With that in place, you should only need to run war:inplace if you add a
new dependency. Also, I had to setup tomcat's context.xml for the app to
be reloadable=true.

Another nicety I added was to add those WEB-INF/classes and lib
directories to the maven-clean-plugin so that "mvn clean" gets rid of them
too.

I haven't looked at your eclipse plugin in more detail, so I'm not sure of
what extra features your solution may offer over mine, but I thought I'd
throw mine out there for consideration.

Greg Vaughn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with this
communication is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use of the
intended recipient, and is the property of Countrywide Financial Corporation or
its affiliates and subsidiaries.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use of the information contained in or transmitted
with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately return this communication to the
sender and delete the original message and any copy of it in your possession.