Let me correct what I said in my other mail, it does indeed have something to do with transitive dependencies.
- I have module A which depends on provided library X.
- I have module B which depends on module A and on (provided) library X
When library X is not marked as provided, all compiles fine.
When I mark library X as provided in module A, then I also need to add an explicit dependency on module B.

Is that the intended behaviour?

Thanks again for helping,
Joachim

Edwin Punzalan wrote:

hmm... I'm pretty sure the provided scoped artifacts appear in the compile phase... maybe what your project is missing are the transitive dependencies of the provided artifact?

Joachim Van der Auwera wrote:
I am using maven 2.0.4

In my project, I have some artifacts which are defined as "provided" scope as these artifacts should not be included in the war file. So far so good.

However, once I change the scope, my project does not *compile* any more as the artifacts seem to have disappeared from the compile classpath as well.

I have defined the scope in my global pom (in dependecyManagement section) and the classes which reference these are in a module, where the dependency is mentioned without scope (or version).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help,
Joachim