Hello Martin

you can omit relative path if the base is one level
higher as this is the default value when the parent
is generated.

But you always can use

<relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath>

Maybe your problem is that you use only

<relativePath>..</relativePath>

as you don't use any properties this should work with
stable maven 2.0.4

- Daniel