Gregory,

Thanks for your reply.

For the record, I found a  acceptable work around.   I configured the
xmlbeans plugin to create a schema jar file in the target directory.  Then I
put this jar file on my eclipse classpath.  I haven't checked yet whether
this configuration affects the rest of the build in maven.  However, it
looks like the xmlbeans plugin still generates source and bizarre
schemaorg_apache_xmlbeans directories , so I believe this is no impact on
the rest of the maven build.

Thanks again,
John