I realize the suggestion was meant to be helpful -- I think it has to do
with properties being immutable in ant and xdoclet1 being dependent on ant.
I am working with a substantial base of code and to attempt to reorg it
efficiently at this point would be difficult.  XD2 doesn't rely on ant --
but I haven't been successful in getting it set up.  I may put a bit more
effort into it now.  In the meantime another solution would be to call out
to an ant task using ant run and have that task run in its own process.
That is my fallback if xd2 isn't ready yet.