Is there a definition someplace of what constitutes a valid repository?
I would like the definition both for local repositories and for remote
repositories.  I've read and searched BBwM;  read the docs in the "Maven
Getting Started Guide" on the Maven web site, as well as other docs on
that site.  I've google searched for documentation.  The best I've found
is one that I can't seem to find again.   It was an early spec for what
M2 repository data should look like, very good as far as it went, but
not complete. I need the formation rules and the semantics.

I'm trying to create a file:// repository.  I've tried a variety of
approaches trying to be clever and only populate it with what our build
needs.  Then I tried brute force, simply copying over the contents of a
maven proxy repository here into the location where I want the file
repository.  In any case, a build does not get far before getting the
message "The plugin 'org.apache.maven.pluging:maven-clean-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found".

The odd thing is, it does get part way into the build, finding and
selecting versions for runtime.  However, I think the jars and versions
being selected are actually the ones in $M2_HOME/lib.

I did run cp -r -p to preserve permissions and dates and stuff, but I
did not do a tar or cpio copy.

Can anyone help?

thanks,
--Marilyn Sander