I've been swimming around in these turbulent waters myself of late
(with ServiceMix, Mule, and Open-Esb), so I am intimately familiar
with what you're talking about.

All this stuff is fairly new and very much in-development. I think
your approach is the right one for this moment in time. I'm certain
the waters will calm a bit in the next few months and hopefully things
will stabilize, so please do check back in a few months. ;-)

Wayne