The problem is exactly as the faq describes. Perhaps I need to clarify
some more in the faq... When you invoke a plugin from the cli that has
configuration in the pom, that configuration must _not_ be contained
inside an executions tag. I really think we need to look at changing
that because it causes lots of user confusion (this is a maven thing,
not a dependency plugin thing). Take a look at the second example on the
usage page:

If you intend to configure this mojo for execution on the command line
using:

mvn dependency:copy

you must not put the configuration inside the executions tag. Your
configuration should look like this:

<project>
  [...]
  <build>
   <plugins>
     <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <artifactItems>
            <artifactItem>
              <groupId>[ groupId ]</groupId>
              <artifactId>[ artifactId ]</artifactId>
              <version>[ version ]</version>
              <type>[ packaging ]</type>
              <overWrite>[ true or false ]</overWrite>
              <outputDirectory>[ output directory ]</outputDirectory>
              <destFileName>[ filename ]</destFileName>
            </artifactItem>
          </artifactItems>
          <!-- other configurations here -->
        </configuration>